Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Duke's Own Jaegers

Here is the first of two groups of my Jaegers in service to the Duke of Schmalz. Drawn from the best marksmen and hunters in the line infantry, they are the elite soldiers of the Schmalzer military, with greater training, motivation, and moustaches. They are equipped with the same cut of uniform as the rest of the army, but their green and gray uniforms were specifically chosen to assist with blending into the scenery of the Black Forest, allowing them to act as excellent scouts and ambushers.




The figures are all Perry Plastics, with the bodies and arms from the ACW Union box and head gear from the AWI British box. Since both ranges use the same style of separate hats, it allows for some really easy conversions if you are looking to kit bash for some neat imagination projects. The bases are 1" fender washers, which fit perfectly into my Warbases 2p movement trays. I like to use washers because it lends weight to the bottom of the miniatures, which helps balance metal and plastic figures as well as lend some nice heft to what are otherwise feather-light plastics. I'm using 20mm mdf bases for the line infantry, but with magnets to keep them in the movement trays. Again, all from Warbases.

The grass mat, again, is the excellent dyed faux fur mat from Killing Fields Terrain, which is by far the best faux fur mat I've ever seen or used. Because they are dyed, you don't get that stiffness that you get with painted fur and the colors are even throughout the mat. After I recover from my upcoming move, I plan on picking up one of their soon to be release short hair mats and probably one to cut up for some terrain projects I have in mind. I feel like the fact that I'm willing to buy one just to butcher is about the best endorsement I can give for the reasonable prices that the mats go for as well. Watch this space for more on those projects in the next couple months.

2 comments:

  1. They look great. And I might have to pick up one of those grass mats.

    ReplyDelete